Brynford and Calcoed Village
Welcome to the new Brynford Community Council Website which was originally established in August 2002 as brynford.com. The site is now the responsibility of the Community Council and has recently been upgraded. It includes information that was on the previous site but now incorporates some new features which hopefully make it easier for users to access this information – in particular that relating to the council. Observations on the site and ideas regarding its future content are more than welcome and can be communicated via the clerk to the council.
Brynford is situated close to the A55 about 1 mile away from the town of Holywell in the county of Flintshire, North Wales. It has a population of about 1250 residents and is set 230 metres (750 feet) above sea level.
Automated External Defibrillator (AED) now available at The Pet Cemetery
Future Community Council Meetings suspended until further notice
‘Best Kept Village Working Group’ – Future Meetings and Events have been suspended until further notice
Brynford and Calcoed both get a mention in the Domesday Book of 1086, but the parish of Brynford came into being in 1853, firstly carved out of 2 older parishes of Holywell and Ysgeifiog. St. Michael’s Parish Church was formerly dedicated by the Bishop of St. Asaph on 1st July 1853 and cost £2030 which included The Parsonage House (opposite church) and The Church School (formerly The Church Hall).
It is surrounded by heather clad common land and several tumuli, cairns and earth circles are in evidence. Much of the area is farmed and there is a large expanse of common grazing land
H.M. Stanley, who went to Africa to find Dr. Livingstone, was a student teacher in the old village school!